Describe Something You Do to Help Others - Helping Other People

This IELTS Speaking Part 2 cue card is about helping people and asks about an activity/something you do to help other people.

TIPS
  • You can answer it in many different ways.
  • Maybe you help a senior person in your family, look after your younger sibling, help at a charity, help a friend with their studies, etc.
  • It is not important if you think your help is insignificant or something you do informally or if you help formally as a volunteer in a recognized organization.
  • Simply talk about the help you give, what it is, who it helps, and your reason for helping.


  • Describe something you do to help others

    You should say:
    • what you do
    • who you help
    • how often you do it
    and explain why you do it.
    IELTS speaking topics: helping others

    Something you do to help others

    I’ll tell you about my tutoring - it’s something I do a couple of times a week. I help some children at the local elementary school who have difficulty with certain subjects. I usually do Math and English, because I’m good at those and like them.

    I normally go on a Tuesday and a Thursday and maybe have three or four children in each group.

    The first group I do is for Math. I receive information from their teacher about the lessons they have seen in class and any particular problems the children have been experiencing.

    Then we work together to try and help the children understand the subject better and work through some exercises or activities to practice what they have learned.

    After the Math group, I have the English group, again there are probably around three or four children, and we practice the language they have seen in their previous lessons and try to sort out any problems they might have.

    I like to create different practice activities for them. That way, they can have fun while learning English. This group is my favorite because they find English interesting, and enjoy it when they can get it right.

    Why do I tutor these two groups? When I was at school, I wasn’t very interested in Math. I thought it was quite boring and I wasn’t very good at it.

    However, I had a tutor, she was very inspirational, and she made me understand how important it is for many things in adult life.

    When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a doctor, but I didn’t realize that I would need a good grade in Math to go to Medical School in the future.

    Thanks to my tutor, she helped me tackle Math differently, and, eventually, I became very good at it.

    That’s why I like helping these children – because my tutor helped me when I was about their age – and it probably changed my life.



    Helping Others IELTS Speaking Topic

    • Describe something you did to help others
    • Talk about something you did to help others
    • How often do you help others?
    • Do you like helping others?
    • Describe something you do that helps your work or study
    • Describe something you do to help you study or work
    • Describe a person who helps others
    • What can you do to help others?

    How would you answer this IELTS speaking Part 2 question about helping other people?