Latest IELTS Writing Questions & Answers Task 1 | Task 2

IELTS UK speaking test




Samples of questions from a recent IELTS speaking test in the UK


IELTS speaking test UK | Part 1

[-]
What is your full name?
[sample answer]
  • Sample Answer
    My name is Miguel Alonzo Barerra
[-]
Can I see your ID?
[sample answer]
  • Sample Answer
    Yes, here's my ID card
[-]
Where are you from?
[sample answer]
  • Sample Answer
    I'm from Barcelona in Spain originally
[-]
Do you work or study?
[sample answer]
  • Sample Answer
    I'm working and studying at the moment. I'm studying Engineering and also working part time at the university as a research assistant.
[-]
What job do you do?
[sample answer]
  • Sample Answer
    I'm working part time at the university as a research assistant.
[-]
What do you do at your work?
[sample answer]
  • Sample Answer
    I'm helping collate research data on a project in one of the departments there. It basically involves some data management and analysis skills.
[-]
Do you like your job? [Why?]
[sample answer]
  • Sample Answer
    Yes, I do. It's related to what I'm studying and it's real experience working on a project which is interesting for me, so yes, I really like working there.
[-]
Do you like walking? [Why?/Why not?]
[sample answer]
  • Sample Answer
    Yes, it's actually one of my favorite pastimes. I love waling in the hills near where I live. Usually at the weekends I go with some friends and we walk for a couple of hours. What I like about it most is the fresh air and the change off scenery, it's such a nice break from the university campus and all the activity there.

[-]
Do you think walking in the countryside is better than in the city? [Why?/Why not?]
[sample answer]
  • Sample Answer
    For me personally, I enjoy walking in the countryside more than walking in the city. I walk in the city mainly to get from A to B, not so much for pleasure. Out in the countryside it's different, the air is fresher and it's quieter and much more enjoyable to go for a stroll or walk.

[-]
Why do you consider walking important [or why not]?
[sample answer]

  • Sample Answer
    It's important for me because I love doing it, because I spend most of my day sitting down. But I think it's important generally for good health to do some kind of exercise, I'm not very sporty, but I love walking.

[-]
What could be done to improve walking in the city?
[sample answer]

  • Sample Answer
    I can't really think of much else the local authorities could do. It's quite nice walking around here. Traffic is already restricted in some parts of the city and there are plenty of open spaces and parks where you can walk. I suppose if the banned cars altogether then it would be better, but that would be impractical, wouldn't it?


[-]
Do you think you will keep walking as a part of your routine in the future?
[sample answer]

  • Sample Answer
    Yes, I'm pretty sure I'll still be walking in the future. It's somethig which I love doing, it's good for my health and I find it relaxing, so I hope to continue doing it as long as I can.

IELTS UK speaking test | Part 2 topic questions

[-]
Talk about a season or time of the year that you enjoy the most. Please say:
  • What do you do during this season?
  • Describe what the weather is like.
  • Why do you like it more than other seasons?
[sample answer]

  • Sample Answer
    Where I live there are two marked seasons, summer and winter. Personally, I prefer the summer, the temperature can get a little hot sometimes but I prefer that to the cold weather we have in the winter. During the summer we normally spend a lot of time at the beach and going out on boats. My family has a boat and most of my friends also so It’s a great way to spend a day, out on the sea and swimming and relaxing. Sometimes we sail around the coast to another village and spend some time there, maybe have lunch and see something different.

    In the evenings we you can normally see people having parties on the beach. It’s quite common to go with some friends, make a fire and cook something to eat and chill oout with your friends. I can even remember sleeping on the beach a couple of times a few years ago.

    As I said, the weather is usually around 30°-35° so it’s hot most of the day and nighttime temperatures are still very warm, sometimes too warm to sleep unless you use airconditioning in your home. There’s normally no rain for about 7 months, although sometimes it happens, but it’s rare during the summer.

    It’s my favourite season because I like to spend a lot of time outside doing activities such as swimming, biking, hiking and sailing. The days seem longer and you don’t need to wear many clothes, just a T-shirt and a pair of shorts most days.

    In the winter it’s completely different. It rains frequently and the temperature gets down to around 10°-15° for about 4 months of the year. I don’t like the cold much, so that’s why I prefer the summertime.




IELTS speaking test UK | Part 3 discussion questions

[-]
What is more important in your view: summer or winter? [Why?]
[sample answer]

  • Sample Answer
    Like I said, personally I prefer the summer, however, it’s also more important for where I live because during the summer a lot of tourists visit and spend their vacations here. It’s probably the biggest industry for the country. All the hotels, restaurants, and many other local businesses rely on the tourism during the summer to survive because during the winter, although there are some tourists, it’s not as busy and things are much quieter. If we didn’t have such a great climate in the summer we probably wouldn’t receive as many visitors, and they’re really important for the local economy.

[-]
Which do you think people enjoy more, summer or winter? [Why?]
[sample answer]

  • Sample Answer
    Overall, most people who live in my town enjoy the summer months better. They enjoy spending days at the beach and swimming and then sitting outside in the evening eating, drinking and relaxing. Certainly the tourists who visit prefer the summer, most of them want to get themselves a suntan, and they can do that in a couple of days here. They love the change of climate and the fact that they can spend most of the day outside.



[-]
What are the disadvantages of working in extremely cold or hot weather?
[sample answer]

  • Sample Answer
    Yes, I suppose it’s difficult working in extreme temperatures. When you work in a very hot climate or environment you can feel tired very quickly. You also need to hydrate yourself well to maintain your energy. Sometimes when it’s very hot here, even doing something simple can seem like a lot of effort.
    On the other hand, working in an extremely cold place can be tiring and you need to use appropriate clothing if it’s extremely cold, which can make it difficult to move around if you’re working outside, and you need to eat more I think, to have enough energy to stay warm and do your work.





Quick & Easy Tips to Improve Your IELTS Speaking

Essential IELTS Speaking Videos

The best IELTS tips from British Council IELTS trainers. Watching these will seriously improve your speaking for IELTS!