How to Answer IELTS Speaking Questions - An Important Plant / Flower in Your Country

An important plant or flower in your country
An Important Plant in Your Country - IELTS Cue Card

This recent IELTS Speaking Test includes speaking topics about:

  • Where you live
  • An important plant or flower in your country
  • Plants
  • Farming
  • Protecting nature

IELTS Speaking Part 1 Questions

What is your full name?

Vilma Nicole Santos

Can I see your ID?

Yes, of course, here is my card.

Where are you from?

I'm from here, in Manila.

Do you work or study?

I just started working, I graduated last summer, but now I want to do IELTS to go and study abroad next year.

Do you live in an apartment or a house?

I live with my parents in our family home - it's a large house in the suburbs of Manila.

Do you like your home?

Of course, I love it, I've lived there all my life, and it is a very special place for me.

What kind of house would you like to have in the future?

I would like to have a house like my parents, I think. Maybe when I get married, but if I move to another country, maybe I will change my mind and decide on something different.

IELTS Speaking Part 2

Describe an important plant or flower in your country

You should say:
  • What is this plant?
  • How did you first learn about it?
  • Why is it so important?
and if it has any special significance or use.
IELTS Cue Cards



How to Answer IELTS SPeaking Part 2 - An Important Plant In Your Country - Model Answer

I can tell you about the Golden Shower Tree, which is a well-known plant here in the Philipinnes, well it's really a small tree, but it's very popular here.

It can grow quite tall, sometimes up to 20m high, it has green leaves, they're between 6 inches and 24 inches long typically and have smaller leaves, I think they're called 'leaflets' which are about 8 inches long.

It produces lots of yellow flowers - I think that's how it got to be known as the Golden Shower Tree, because of the many golden or yellow-colored flowers it produces.

It has fruit with a very strong odor, and inside it, and there are seeds; these seeds are poisonous.

The trunk or the main part of the tree and its branches are very hard wood.

Here, these plants, or trees, are very popular with butterflies and bees, which seem to find them very attractive - most probably because of the bright flowers on them.

I first remember seeing one at my grandparent's home. They had several in their garden, and I can remember my grandfather telling me all about them.

Later, I noticed them in many different places, and I seem to recall we learned about them in school as well.

I think this is one of the most popular ornamental plants we have - and it is used in medicine as well.

When the flowers blossom, there are lots of them, and they cover the tree so you can hardly see the green leaves anymore. It seems to grow well even in dry weather and with lots of sunlight.

It also has another name - "disease killer" - because people sometimes use the pulp from the fruit as a laxative and for other ailments such as fever, arthritis, and stomach problems. I'm sure it has more uses, but those are the ones that I can remember at the moment.

Some people say the tree root can also be used for medicinal purposes. But other people say it is very dangerous if you are not an expert because it is very potent.



IELTS Speaking Part 3 Questions

Do you like this plant?

Yes, I do. I think it's pretty, especially with all the golden flowers. It also reminds me of my grandfather whenever I see one - so yes, it's one of my favorites.

Is farming important for your country?

Very! It's one of the biggest industries in my country. Many people still live in the country and earn their living from working the land - even though that may be changing now - we have a long history of agriculture.

The main crops grown here include rice, corn, sugarcane, bananas, pineapple, mangoes, and coffee. And some farmers also produce other crops such as abaca which is like a banana plant, and peanuts as well - and also some eggplant, onions, garlic - and I'm sure there are many more as well - oh and of course, we grow rubber and cotton too.

So yes, farming has always been very important here in my country.

What measures should we take to protect our nature?

One of the problems in this country is that there has not been enough funding and investment in irrigated land and protecting the soil. The land has been damaged over the years by various pesticides and fertilizers. Now, the land produces less than it did in the past.

There is also a trend happening at the moment where many rural farmers are selling their land to developers, and they are constructing residences or golf courses on the land.

The farmers need the money, and this is happening rapidly at the moment, so the government really should have some kind of plan to make sure that the countryside is protected and will not be overdeveloped.

I'm not sure what measures exactly could be put in place, but there needs to be some kind of environmental policy that protects or limits the rate of development of such land, or we could be making more problems for ourselves in the future.

Do you think future generations will be interested in farming?

Probably not, it has been difficult for many people to maintain their farms, paying for seeds and the workers to plant and harvest the crops. As I said, many small rural farmers sell their land if given the opportunity.

I think the younger generation is more interested in commerce and other areas rather than farming as a way of earning a living. They've seen older people struggling in recent years, and technology has also changed things a lot here - so it's likely that young people will not be interested in farming and want to do something else for work.




How would you answer these IELTS questions about an important plant in your country, farming, and protecting nature?

Related