IELTS Speaking Part 1 Food and Cooking

IELTS Speaking Part 1 questions | Food & Cooking

The IELTS Speaking test can be a nerve-wracking experience. But one of the best ways to prepare for it is to practice your answers to common questions.

In this blog post, we'll go over some frequently asked IELTS Speaking questions about food and cooking, as well as provide some example answers to help you get started.

These example answers will give you a better idea of how to approach IELTS Speaking Part 1 questions about food and cooking.

Remember to speak clearly and concisely, using complete sentences when possible. And most importantly, relax and be yourself! Good luck!


What is your favorite food?

My favorite food is sushi. I love the way it tastes and the fact that it's healthy.


What kind of food do you like?

I'm a bit of a foodie, so I like trying new things. But my favorites are probably Italian and Thai food.


What is your favorite dish?

My mom makes the best lasagna ever, so that's definitely my favorite dish.


Do you know how to cook?

I know how to cook a few basic dishes, but nothing too fancy. My mom taught me how to make spaghetti and chicken Parmesan, both of which are really delicious.


Would you like to learn how to cook?

I would love to learn how to cook! I think it would be really fun and fulfilling to be able to make my own meals from scratch. Maybe someday I'll take a cooking class or two.


What are your thoughts on fast food?

I try to avoid eating fast food as much as possible because it's not very healthy. But sometimes it's just convenient and I don't have time to cook a meal from scratch. So overall, I guess it's okay in moderation.


Is food important to you? Why? Why not?

Yes, food is incredibly important to me! It's not only about the taste and the sustenance it offers, but it's also deeply entwined with our cultural expressions and social dynamics. Sharing a meal, for instance, is how I connect with my loved ones and celebrate meaningful moments, making it a significant aspect of my life.


What kinds of food do you particularly like? What kind of food do you like to eat?

I love food that's not only delicious but also good for you, which is why I find myself drawn to Mediterranean cuisine quite often.

It's all about that perfect balance of fresh veggies, wholesome grains, and protein-packed fish, all brought together by the amazing richness of olive oil.

And let's not forget about the incredible medley of herbs and spices used in Mediterranean dishes that just creates this irresistible explosion of flavors! It's hard to resist, trust me!


Is there any food you don’t like? Why?

Oh, there are a few foods that don't sit well with me. For example, I'm not particularly fond of extremely spicy dishes; they tend to overwhelm my palate and negate the joy of tasting the different ingredients. I prefer flavors that complement rather than dominate each other in a dish.


What kinds of food are most popular in your country?

In my country, the culinary scene is like a melting pot, reflecting our diverse cultural backdrop. But you know what dish reigns supreme? It's the classic rice and beans!

This simple yet hearty meal is adored across the nation for its comfort food qualities. And the best part? You can dress it up with a range of accompaniments like chicken, beef, or vegetables.

It truly captures the essence of our cuisine, showcasing locally sourced ingredients cooked with traditional techniques that have been passed down through generations.

So, next time you visit, make sure to give it a try!


What kinds of food do people in your country like to eat?

In my country, people love their food! We have a strong preference for delicious comfort foods that are bursting with local spices and seasonal produce.

Whether it's the savory pastries filled with spiced meats and veggies from street vendors or the home-cooked meals that bring everyone together, food is all about creating a sense of togetherness.

It's not just about satisfying our taste buds, but also about strengthening the social fabric that holds our culture together.


Do you like cooking? Why? Why not?

Cooking is definitely one of my passions and brings me so much joy. I find it therapeutic to create something delicious from a mix of ingredients.

And you know what? Sharing a meal I've prepared with loved ones is just the best. It's like an act of love, you know? Cooking is truly an art form in itself.


Who usually does the cooking in your home?

In my household, we all chip in when it comes to cooking, but I have to admit, my mom takes the crown as the culinary queen.

She has this amazing talent for adding a touch of love to every dish, transforming even the most basic ingredients into mouthwatering meals.

But you know what? On weekends, I like to step into the kitchen, put on my apron, and get creative with new recipes. It's a time for bonding and letting my culinary imagination run wild!


Do you prefer to eat at home or in restaurants? Why?

I actually prefer eating at home instead of dining out. It just gives me this warm and cozy feeling, you know? Like I belong there.

And there's something really special about having a family dinner - the food is made with love and the conversations just flow, you know?

Plus, it's healthier because I can choose the ingredients and cook it the way we like it. So yeah, that's why I love eating at home!


What are the advantages of home cooking?

Home cooking has so many advantages! One of the best things is being able to make meals exactly how you like them and keep them healthy.

You're in control of what goes in, so it's a great way to live a healthier lifestyle. Plus, cooking at home can be a fun and creative way to show yourself and your loved ones some extra care.


Who do most people in your country usually eat with? Why?

In my country, we have this beautiful tradition of communal meals. It's deeply rooted in our culture, so most folks prefer dining with their loved ones.

You see, it's not just about getting our nutrition fix; it's equally about coming together and keeping those family ties strong.

Sharing a meal is a special moment for us to catch up, share stories, and reinforce that sense of belonging and tradition that's so important to our way of life.


Do you often eat with your family?

Eating with my family is one of the highlights of my day. We make it a point to have dinner together most nights—it's our time to unwind and really connect with each other after a busy day. It's a tradition I value immensely.


Do you/people in your country prefer to eat with family or with friends? Why?

In my country, the preference between dining with family or friends can really vary depending on the occasion.

For daily meals, we tend to stick with family because it reinforces our bonds and gives us time to catch up.

However, meals with friends are always looked forward to for their relaxed and often celebratory atmosphere.


Do you think it's important for people to eat with their family? Why?

Yes, I think it's essential for people to eat with their family. It's so much more than just sharing food; it's about fostering relationships and creating a supportive environment.


Is healthy eating important? Why? Why not?

Regarding healthy eating, I believe it's crucial because it's the foundation of good health and energy levels, keeping us well in the long term.